Great Horned Owl at San Luis National Wildlife Refuge


I think owls are my favorite group of birds.  I think.  (There are so many birds to choose from, after all!)  On a rainy day birding over the weekend, I was excited to spot this Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus) roosting in a willow at San Luis National Wildlife Refuge. 


For me, there is something extra-special about seeing an owl in the wild.  Something in those eyes, the way they gaze so intently directly at you.  They really do inspire awe, and I can understand why owls are so often touted as being wise.  Can't you see the wild wisdom of the ages in this sage owl's expression?



Comments

You Might Also Like:

Birds of the Desert: Residents & Spring Migrants

Gardens Gone Native: A Native Plant Garden Tour in the Sacramento Valley

Exploring New Places: South Carolina's Salt Marshes and Tidal Creeks

A Shorebird Primer: Godwits, Curlews, Willets and Whimbrels

Great Horned Owl Fledglings

Joshua Tree Woodlands: A Tale of Sloths, Moths and the Trees that Need Them