A Heron in Crane's Clothing?

"Day 37.  The Cranes still do not suspect that I am a Heron.  The plan is working. 
I shall continue to blend in with their herd."

While birding at Merced National Wildlife Refuge, I came upon this rather amusing scene.  Well, amusing if you're a birder, I suppose... 

No great scientific insights here (other than to say that these two species, the Great Blue Heron and Sandhill Crane, can clearly co-exist quite peaceably).  Just a funny photo!

Oh, but as a side note, flocks of Sandhill Cranes really are called herds.  And the young are known as colts.  There are your facts for the day!  (I couldn't help myself.)

Comments

You Might Also Like:

Birds of the Desert: Residents & Spring Migrants

Gardens Gone Native: A Native Plant Garden Tour in the Sacramento Valley

Great Horned Owl Fledglings

Joshua Tree Woodlands: A Tale of Sloths, Moths and the Trees that Need Them

Exploring New Places: South Carolina's Salt Marshes and Tidal Creeks

Birding in Southeastern Arizona: Madera Canyon