River Otters in the Great Central Valley

Several times this year I have been lucky enough to see North American River Otters (Lontra canadensis) in both the San Joaquin and Tuolumne Rivers.  They have been too leery of me to allow for any great National Geographic quality photos (let's be honest, that's not entirely the otters' fault!) but I have gotten a few shots in which they are at least recognizable as river otters, not just obscure brown blobs on the riverbank!

River Otter along the banks of the Tuolumne River.

The presence of otters in our rivers is a wonderful thing.  As a top predator species in the ecosystem, river otters are often heralded as indicators of the health of the entire watershed.  Like their seafaring counterpart, California's Southern Sea Otter (Enhydra lutris nereis), the North American River Otter was once hunted extensively for its thick pelt.  Where otters once thrived, over hunting, followed closely by habitat loss and degradation, has taken a toll on their populations.  As is the case with most aquatic (and semi-aquatic) species, water pollution is detrimental.

River otter along the sandy bank of the San Joaquin River

Only recently, river otters have been making a remarkable comeback in the watersheds of the greater San Francisco Bay Area - and the Central Valley as well!  For more information on the valuable (and cute) North American River Otter, specifically their presence in the Bay Area, check out The River Otter Ecology Project's Website.

Comments

  1. Hey Sierra. I was wondering where in the San Joaquin River have you seen river otters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for my tardy response! I see them regularly (just saw 4 on December 15th) at the San Joaquin River NWR

      Delete
    2. There was a siting at Lodi lake

      Delete
  2. I saw one today at Laird Park. Followed me as I hiked along the river and swam real close to my lab. Powerful swimmer. See theme there and sometimes along the San Jaoquin Federal Wildlife Sanctuary nearby Laird Park

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stanislaus river has a healthy population. Spent 2 days hanging out with one going fish for fish in nice little pool. Even swam with the little guy for a bit. Very playful and remarkable friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's GREAT to know they're doing so well in our area!

      Delete
  4. On Sunday the 12th I saw a family, 5-8 otters in the Merced river upstream about 3 miles from Snelling, Ca. Very magical and special to see them, in 30 yrs I've never seen one.i will keep an eye on them and hope to get photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I've heard of a group in the Snelling area but never seen them myself. Congrats on spotting them!

      Delete
    2. I've gone back to the same spot twice now and haven't seen them. I've since read that they're very nocturnal in spring and summer

      Delete
  5. Wow, a family of otters in the Merced upstream of Snelling. So very cool to watch them awhile with the binocs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seen one this morning at lake mcswain!

      Delete
    2. We have one at the Country Club in Merced. Have spotted it twice in the last two weeks.

      Delete
  6. I spotted one yesterday 02/15/21 along the San Joaquin river near Friant California. Small but wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw what I think to be a female on the Merced river literally 50 yards off the end of Fourth st in Snelling. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lol I just saw a river otter in lake mcswain while fishing this morning!

      Delete
    2. That's great!! Since writing this, it seems like I have been seeing them more and more often around the Valley. Every encounter is so neat!

      Delete
  8. Hello all, yes they are wonderful animals. Very entertaining to watch, especially in the comfort of large numbers. I was fishing just bellow the McSwain dam in Merced falls early this morning. I counted at least 14 of them. Divided into two groups. I watched them for several hours before deciding to move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just saw three otters at Jenkinson Lake at Sly Park Recreation area in Pollock Pines. They swam very near us (30 feet away) as we walked along the water. They kept lifting their heads high out of the water and made snorting sounds. Very playful and curious.

      Delete
  9. Otters (3) seen off La Paloma Rd. By canal off of G Street Merced.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Birds of the Desert: Residents & Spring Migrants

Great Horned Owl Fledglings

Gardens Gone Native: A Native Plant Garden Tour in the Sacramento Valley

Joshua Tree Woodlands: A Tale of Sloths, Moths and the Trees that Need Them

Exploring New Places: South Carolina's Salt Marshes and Tidal Creeks

Birding in Southeastern Arizona: Madera Canyon